Counting Cupcakes… because who really wants to count calories?
If you follow me on Instagram you probably know a few things about me…
- I will shamelessly clog your feed with seriously cute pictures of my new baby,
- when I’m not posting pics of my kiddos, almost every other picture is of food, and
- that my crazy cat sleeps in the weirdest places.
So when Ashton (@SomethingSwanky) sent me an e-mail asking about this picture from Instagram, I had to laugh. On the surface this picture makes it seem like I eat pretty healthy, right? Ground turkey, greek yogurt, protein granola bars, fruit, and a carton of organic milk. What you don’t see here is the caption that went along with it… “Looks like my cart got switched with someone who eats healthy.”
The real story is that the following day was my weigh-in & measurement check with my trainer. (Wait, you mean that only eating healthy the day before my weigh in won’t magically make up for the brownies I’ve had every day for the past week?)
So Ashton and I started e-mailing back and forth about our weight loss goals/struggles, what’s been working for us, and how we both really wanted to be a part of a group that motivates and supports each other to live a healthier lifestyle.
That’s where YOU come in.
Have you been looking for the same type of group? Someone to bounce ideas off of, try out new recipes with, and hold you accountable when you need it?
This is where I came up with the idea for Counting Cupcakes! Sounds so much sweeter and less stressful when you put it that way, don’t ya think?
I want this to be a group that supports and encourages one another. This isn’t about crash dieting, skipping meals, or completely changing the way you eat. This is about taking baby steps towards change to reap big benefits. This is also about every day, real life solutions. I don’t know about you, but I’m a full-time working, busy mom of 2, with a hungry husband, on a budget. I can’t always afford organic, and let’s be real, I honestly hate vegetables. I need at least 5 more hours in my day as it is, and I dread doing those workout videos alone in my living room!
Why ‘counting cupcakes’? I don’t believe in counting calories. I’ve tried in the past (and failed). I also don’t believe in restrictive dieting (no sweets, no carbs, etc). Tell me I can’t have a cupcake and I will have never wanted a cupcake more in my life. I think the key to success is everything in moderation; not only eating “less” calories, but eating “better” calories. It’s all about what you eat and how you exercise!
So commit to changing one meal a week. Love hamburgers? Switch it up to turkey burgers. Try offering sweet potato fries instead of french fries. Serve a simple salad instead of stopping for fast food.
And then come back and share it with us. Did you find a new way to make broccoli suddenly delicious? For the love of all things chocolate, PLEASE share that with us!
Want to be a part of this? With the New Year just around the corner, it is the perfect time to sign up!
Download a button to display on your site to help grow our community (found under the Counting Cupcakes menu tab). Each week you will receive a newsletter that contains:
- One new healthy recipe to include into your week. This is where the baby steps come in. Make little changes and incorporate healthy choices into your routine. I can commit to trying one new “better for me” recipe a week. Can you?
- One “sweet cheat” recipe, because let’s face it, sometimes you just need something sweet to take the edge off! If I’m going to “cheat” and have something so-bad-but-so-good, then I want it to be the best thing ever. I don’t just want a bag of M&M’s, no I want a double chocolate brownie with pecans and chocolate chips and whipped cream on top.
- One weekly menu plan. (You can download my free printable menu planner here.) Each week you have the option to follow the menu and pick and choose the recipes that work for you. These recipes will NOT all be healthy recipes; these will be a week of ideas from contributors to help you with the stress of coming up with what’s for dinner while sharing new recipes! Weekly meal planning helps me save my time, money, and sanity!
In addition to the features listed above, there will also be example workout routines, tips and tricks to make healthier choices, ideas on how to eat seasonally or drink more water, and much more! As the community grows, we will also start to include group photos, stats, and friendly competitions.
Come back starting this SATURDAY (12/22/12) to link up your blog as a member. Spread the word and invite others to join!
I would love for you to post “your story” and link that up. Tell us what your goals are, what you’ve been struggling with, what works for you! I am going to share my story this Saturday during the link up. If you don’t have the time or space to dedicate a post before the weekend, that’s ok! Come back and link up your homepage. We still want to support you!
Do you have a healthy recipe you would like to share? Or would you like to Co-Host and plan a weekly menu for the group? Please send an e-mail to [email protected]
I am so excited about this. If you have any ideas for ways to make this community better, please let me know- leave a comment below or send me an e-mail!!