DIY Vertical Planter

DIY Vertical Planter- great option for an herb garden if low on space! #diy #gardenI am so happy with the way this project turned out!  It makes me smile every time I walk past it on the front porch.  It was super easy, and much like my ombré note cards, pretty self-explanatory.

Here’s what you need:

• 14 in terra cotta pot
  • 12 in terra cotta pot
  • 10 in terra cotta pot
  • 8.25 in terra cotta pot
  • 6 in terra cotta pot
  • 14 in terra cotta base
  • potting soil
  • flowers or herbs
  • a wooden stake or rod, such as rebar

Note: You will need enough plants for five pots, but keep in mind they will only be on the edges.  I was able to do the entire project with one bag of potting soil, and had a little left over.  I purchased a wooden stake, but it was too thick to fit through the center holes.  (Keep this in mind when purchasing.)  I actually ended up using a curtain tension rod I had in my garage.  It worked perfect for me, especially being extendable.

Place your base where you want your planter to be.  (I don’t recommend moving it after assembled, so it’s best to build where you want it.)  Starting with the largest pot, fill it with dirt 3/4 of the way full and place the rod in the center.  Plant your herbs or flowers on the outermost edge, and add more dirt as filler as needed.  Place the 2nd largest pot in the center of the first pot.  Continue this process until all five pots are stacked.  Don’t fill the center all the way to the top with dirt, the next pot should sit down a couple inches inside the first pot.

I decided to make my planter multipurpose and used 3 of the 5 pots as an herb garden.  This is a great option for people who want a small herb garden, or are running low on space.  Would be perfect for an apartment balcony even!  My basil is growing like crazy, we can’t make enough pesto to keep up.  I planted begonias in the other pots because I liked the contrast they added to the herbs.

DIY Vertical Planter- great option for an herb garden if low on space! #diy #gardenI have enjoyed this DIY vertical planter so much!  I don’t consider myself to have a green thumb (I usually kill all of my indoor plants as soon as I buy them) but I am pretty proud of this project.  It has been a lovely addition to our front porch!

DIY Vertical Planter- great option for an herb garden if low on space! #diy #gardenYou can find the tutorial for my $10 & 10 Minute Wreath here

I am dying to paint my front door… any suggestions?

signature

Share the love...Share on Google+1Pin on Pinterest32,653Share on Facebook239Tweet about this on Twitter14Share on StumbleUpon0Email this to someone
This entry was posted in DIY, House & Home and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to DIY Vertical Planter

1. Monique says:

I was wondering what area you lived in. I want to do a vertical herb garden, but I was told the herbs may not hold up during the winter months in PA.

2. Kim says:

I love this idea! Do you think this would still work if you didn’t actually plant from a flowering plants and just planted seeds? I have wanted to start my own herb garden for so long, and I would love to try to start it from a seed. I don’t see why it wouldn’t but just thought I would ask. P.s. paint the door a deep turquoise for a pop!

3. angie says:

this is a great way to plant love how it looks and awesome space saver as well
    come see me angie at annies home ( http://shopannies.blogspot.com )
    angie recently posted…Stuffed Peppers

4. Kelly says:

I have been wanting to plant some herbs in a container, and love this idea! Thanks for sharing and breaking down the pot sizes that you used.

5. Nancy B says:

Love the tower. Paint the door cobalt blue; it will look great with the brick and the flag.

6. This is lovely – fabulous way to grow herbs!
    Pam – GetSilvered recently posted…Show & Tell – Cards and Wrap

7. Pretty and practical! That’s my kind of project! Fresh herbs are the best. :)
    Found you through Tip Me Tuesday!
    Kim {Pinspired Home} recently posted…March 2014 Goal Update

8. I love this!! It’s exactly what I need for my balcony. Pinning it~

I hopped over from the Whatsits Link Up.

~Cheryl
    Cheryl at Snaps of Ginger recently posted…Easter Chick Garland

9. Pingback: Clever Outdoor DIY'S | BHG Style Spotters

10. Oooooh, I love it! Great tutorial. Thanks for sharing!

11. Cheri says:

I would paint your door red…In Feng Shui and early American customs, a red door meant “welcome”. You have a very welcoming looking house….very pretty.

12. Shanice says:

Such a great idea. I would love it if you joined and contribute your awesome posts at my link party at City of Creative Dreams on Fridays :D Hope to see you there at City of Creative Dreams Link Party
    Shanice recently posted…City Of Links Party #13

13. I live in the desert and anything left outside in the summer cooks. This idea would be great right in my kitchen for having fresh herbs at hand. Thanks.

14. Alyssa says:

What a great space saver and great tutorial. I just wanted to let you know that I am linking to this post on 4/7 at Simply Creative Living if you don’t mind.

15. Pingback: Life of the Party #34 - Springtime DIY Projects - Moms Confession

16. Pingback: Garden Revamp | Boldly Gold

17. Wendy says:

Curious as to why a rod is necessary if pots rest in the dirt of the other pot? Also, since under the porch do they grow okay in the shade or or they in the sun most of the time? Thanks for input from anyone.

• Emily Bruno says:

Hi Wendy, I put a rod for extra stabilization. It gets pretty windy here in Texas, so it’s just for added support. As for the shade, it would depend on your situation. My planter is on the edge so it sees quite a bit of sun through the day, with partial shade as well.

18. Pingback: Mother's Day DIY Gift Ideas - Family Fun Journal

19. Pingback: Miracle-Gro Flowering Plants Giving the Front Porch a Pop of Color - ohboyohboyohboy

20. Sharon says:

You could tilt the pots for a topsy-turvy effect.

21. Pingback: 15 Eclectic Herb Gardens - Second Chance To Dream | Second Chance To Dream

22. dee potter says:

I did this with allysum, as I love the flowing effect of it. I wanted it for my front yard under a tree. The top pot is tipped over, and the flowers are cascading down out of it. Great idea, and I get loads of compliments on it. This flower also comes back every year.