I’ve never been big on Chinese food; growing up we just never ate it. In my past corporate life, it seemed like people always wanted to go for Chinese during lunch and I dreaded finding something I would like every single time. It really wasn’t until years after marrying my husband that I found out I’m a closet Chinese food lover. He ordered orange chicken from one of his favorite take-out places, and after bravely stealing a few bites, I’ve been hooked ever since!
This version of orange chicken is baked, and the flavor is spot on! I’ve tried making it once before and it was way too sweet and the orange flavor was all wrong. I love a little bit of kick, this recipe has a subtle heat to it but you could definitely amp it up some if you prefer. I actually sprinkle crushed red peppers flakes instead of sesame seeds on top of mine.
Of course what goes better with orange chicken then a big bowl of fluffy rice? As I went to grab my favorite Success® boil-in-bag rice, I decided to opt for the Basmati variety this time. We always keep a box in our pantry to go with our fav weeknight meals. Success® Rice is the ORIGINAL no mess, no measure boil-in-bag rice that cooks perfectly every time and is ready in 10 minutes. The white and brown rice can sit for up to 30 minutes before being served, making it foolproof. Since it can be ready so quickly, I especially love to use it when I’m making something in the slow cooker!
Success® Basmati Rice is the only boil-in-bag Basmati rice available. It’s long and slender and elongates 3-4 times in length when cooked. It has a distinctive fragrance and fluffy texture. It’s pre-portioned, BPA-free boil-in-bag means no mess, no measuring involved and it delivers fully cooked rice in 10 minutes.
With 4 varieties available including: Success® Whole Grain Brown Rice and Success® White Rice, and globally-inspired aromatic varieties of Success® Rice, including fragrant Thai Jasmine or Basmati Rice, there’s a variety everyone in your family will love. Check out http://bit.ly/1g4nX4O for recipe ideas and more info about cooking with the 4 different varieties. For recipe inspiration, lifestyle tips and more, like and follow Success Rice’s social pages: Facebook; Twitter; and Pinterest.
- 3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1½ cup cornstarch
- 3 eggs, beaten
- ¼ cup canola or olive oil
- Orange Chicken Sauce Ingredients:
- ⅔ cup brown sugar
- ⅔ cup orange juice
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 2 tsp sriracha
- 3 tbsp White Vinegar
- 3 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tbsp Grated Orange Peel
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees, grease a 9 x 13 baking dish and set aside.
- Cut chicken breasts into bite-sized pieces and season with salt and pepper.
- Place cornstarch and slightly beaten eggs in separate bowls.
- Dip the chicken into cornstarch first and then coat in the egg mixture.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and cook chicken until browned.
- Place the chicken in the baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together brown sugar, orange juice, sriracha, apple cider vinegar, grated orange peel, white vinegar, soy sauce, garlic salt, and cornstarch.
- Pour over chicken and bake for 1 hour. Stir the chicken every 15 minutes to fully coat.
- Cool a few minutes in the pan before plating to allow the sauce to thicken.
Do you love Chinese food? Have you tried Basmati rice?
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf Success® Rice.